YBE(2) trains, employs and provides career opportunities for the Yolngu people of north-east Arnhem Land. Operating profitably and effectively, YBE(2) gives excellent service to its customers in civil engineering, mine site rehabilitation, environmental management, building and other businesses.
- YBE(2) is one of the largest Aboriginal companies in Australia in terms of both assets and revenue. We are a privately owned Yolngu business that receives no direct government support.
- From humble beginnings as the Yirrkala Brick Works in 1968, the company has grown and diversified into a highly successful service operation.
- YBE(2) conducts itself professionally in all its activities, with sound management, good business practices and the formation of strategic alliances, working towards the goal of excellent service.
NAYANJU WANGANY (Collaboration):
- 26 clans make up the Yolngu nation of Arnhem Land and our board is represented by a Dilak (elder) from each clan. Company decisions are not made unilaterally; Employees, Management and the Board work together to achieve a unity of purpose.
- YBE(2) has a dedicated and skilled staff of over 100 employees and is a region leader in the training and employment of Yolngu people. At present, the company directly employs approximately 60 Yolngu employees.
- Our methodology for all company operations is to bring together Ngapaki (Western/European) disciplines and the knowledge systems of the Yolngu. Our cross-cultural platform is core to the company’s achievements in regional development.
NATHILYUN NHAMA (Look to the Future):
- We stand firm to develop our future. We are committed to working together to provide opportunities for Yolngu to participate in and manage this company.
- YBE(2) is currently developing a student work experience program that will provide Yolngu djamarkuli (children) with invaluable exposure to the mining industry and corporate world.
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Building Team Coordinator
Business Development & Workshop Manager
Environment Coordinator, HSE Rep
Training and Development Manager
Civil Coordinator, HSE Rep
“YBE is a business for All people”.
— YBE(2) Chairman, Dangatanga Gondarra