YBE(2) trains, employs and provides career opportunities for the Yolngu people of north-east Arnhem Land. Operating profitably and effectively, YBE(2) gives excellent service to its customers in civil engineering, mine site rehabilitation, environmental management, building and other businesses.
- YBE(2) is one of the largest Aboriginal companies in Australia in terms of both assets and revenue. We are a privately owned Yolngu business that receives no direct government support.
- From humble beginnings as the Yirrkala Brick Works in 1968, the company has grown and diversified into a highly successful service operation.
- YBE(2) conducts itself professionally in all its activities, with sound management, good business practices and the formation of strategic alliances, working towards the goal of excellent service.
NAYANJU WANGANY (Collaboration):
- 26 clans make up the Yolngu nation of Arnhem Land and our board is represented by a Dilak (elder) from each clan. Company decisions are not made unilaterally; Employees, Management and the Board work together to achieve a unity of purpose.
- YBE(2) has a dedicated and skilled staff of over 100 employees and is a region leader in the training and employment of Yolngu people. At present, the company directly employs approximately 60 Yolngu employees.
- Our methodology for all company operations is to bring together Ngapaki (Western/European) disciplines and the knowledge systems of the Yolngu. Our cross-cultural platform is core to the company’s achievements in regional development.
NATHILYUN NHAMA (Look to the Future):
- We stand firm to develop our future. We are committed to working together to provide opportunities for Yolngu to participate in and manage this company.
- YBE(2) is currently developing a student work experience program that will provide Yolngu djamarkuli (children) with invaluable exposure to the mining industry and corporate world.
“YBE is a business for All people”.
— YBE(2) Chairman, Dangatanga Gondarra